Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy reporting in the land of the gluten free.


I'm happy to read that Dr. Nicholas Perricone's top ten beauty food picks are all gluten free. Yaaaay! The list includes: blueberries, apples, wild salmon, nuts, dark leafy greens, asparagus, olive oil and green tea. And I've saved the two best for last: red wine and dark chocolate. Yaaaay! (again)

Several, including the blueberries, dark chocolate and green tea, are great sources of antioxidants. Wild salmon helps keep skin young. Apples are good for your girlish figure. And we've all heard about chocolate being a potential mood elevator. I don't really care if it is or isn't. I'll still indulge.

Please note that the recipes you'll come across if you've followed the link, are not necessarily gluten free. However, I was surprised to see that the Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies are made without flour. Sounds gluten free to me. (No butter either!)

One last gluten free bite of reporting. I found it recently in the Orlando Sentinel. Heather McPherson placed "gluten free" at number eight for ten hot food trends to watch in 2009. She writes:

"Gluten as the new villain. Even though celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten, affects only about 1 percent of the population, proponents say a gluten-free diet can stimulate weight loss and help with chronic intestinal issues as well as diseases including autism and schizophrenia."

She does note, however, that these benefits are unproven. I'm curious to know if any of you would consider going on a gluten free diet if you didn't have to?

(Photo via weheartit)

2 comments:

Jessie Cacciola said...

my mom's really into this right now--thanks for the links! :)

Jess Constable said...

I actually JUST finished a the cleanse in the Quantum Wellness book by Kathy Freston. To see how it went check out my "coming clean about the cleanse post I wrote on Monday: http://makeundermylife.blogspot.com/2009/02/coming-clean-about-cleanse-part-1.html

But the quick answer is: gluten-free is hard to be.